Szechuan Shredded Beef
photo by Sackville
- Ready In:
- 1 lb beef rump, partially frozen
- 2 tablespoons hot bean paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 3 celery ribs
- 1 carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 -5 dried red chilies
- 6 -8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- hot steamed rice
- Cut partially frozen beef into thin slices, then julienne into a fine shred (cutting beef while part frozen keeps meat thinner); set aside.
- Mix bean paste, soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, and ginger; pour over beef in shallow dish or plastic bag, coating meat well.
- Marinate meat 2 hours.
- Cut celery, carrot, and green pepper into thin shreds; cut onion into thin slivers, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok and add dried chilies and minced garlic; cook until aromatic, then add vegetables.
- Stir-fry vegetables 2 minutes then remove from wok.
- Add 1-2 tbsp oil to wok, heat to high then add meat; stir-fry until meat is dark and slightly crispy at edges; keep meat pieces separated.
- Return vegetables to wok; mix well; stir in sesame oil.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this tonight and it's all gone!!! Tastes just like my favorite dish at Shangri-La Restaurant, "Shredded Beef and Hot Pepper Sauce". Will definitely make a regular appearance. Didn't have hot bean sauce though so I used Oyster sauce and a little cornstarch. Omitted garlic and accidentally used extra ginger in marinade. Fresh ginger is a must! Loved it!
we had this last night for dinner. we loved it! i cut the veggies and marinated the meat in the morning, so it went very fast! in fact, my minute rice in the microwave took the longest! my meat marinated for about 6 hours. i loved the flavor!! i did add some serrano peppers and more ginger to the veggies. will make many more times!! this is a keeper! thanks, sue!
I loved this stir fry. Cutting the beef while frozen is a brilliant trick. It gives the meat a really nice texture and I think I may do this for all my beef stir fries from now on. The marinade is full of flavour and the whole meal comes together very quickly, once you've chopped the veggies. It would be good for a dinner party because you could do most of the work ahead of time. The servings are generous. We cut the meat in half and also cut back on the veggies, as there are just two of us, and there was still enough for seconds.