Sweet Pastry Dough
photo by Tuck Burnette
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- salt (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cold shortening
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla (or vanilla paste)
- 5 -6 tablespoons cold water
- extra water, if needed
- flour, spread on a plate
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in the butter a little, then add the shortening, work into a paste, to create a crumb, keeping the mixture light.
- Whisk together the egg, vinegar, vanilla and water.
- Work the mixture to a dough, use an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment if desired, I work it with a spoon, until it isn't wet, then use my hands to moisten the crumbs, with the cohesive dough, at the bottom of the bowl.
- Remove the dough, it should not be crumbly, shake it over the bowl, if there are any crumbs left, set the pastry aside, add a few drops of water to the remaining mix, gather together, and add to the whole.
- Rub both sides of the dough in flour before putting into a zip top bag, to chill for at least an hour before using the rest of the flour, for rolling and baking the dough.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!