Spinach-Tomato Tortellini Soup
This flavorful soup will warm you up on a cold day. It is simple to make and delicious served with crusty bread. This recipe was made for RSC #11.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth (can use fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth if desired)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato, julienne-cut and packed without oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 9 ounces fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 cups packed fresh Baby Spinach
- 6 -8 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, grated
- additional asiago cheese, grated (for sprinkling on top)
- salt, to taste (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In large Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add the shallots, onion, garlic and cayenne pepper and saute until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes and crushed red pepper; cover and bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini, spinach, basil and 1/2 cup Asiago cheese; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until pasta is done.
- Sprinkle with additional Asiago cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, if desired.
- This makes 8 servings at 1 cup each.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wonderful. I made a few substitutions but followed the basic recipe. I added sliced baby bella mushrooms that I had left over and sauteed them with the onions. Insead of sundried tomatoes (which I do not like) I added a can of petite diced tomatoes and their juice and halved the hot water. I also tossed in a parm-regg cheese rind I was saving for making soup. I also added artichoke hearts (quartered) when I added the pasta. It was AWESOME! This was so easy to make and I will definitely make it again.Reply
Yum! I halved this recipe and made as directed except that I used dried tricolor tortellini and used oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (but pressed them well with a paper towel to get the oil out). I enjoyed the flavor that the sun-dried tomatoes imparted to this dish, but would definitely only use fresh pasta next time! We loved this. Spicy, simple, and good. Thanks Lainey for another keeper. Made for ZWT4.Reply
This soup is WONDERFUL! I am a fan of cream based soups, but decided to make this since I had some 3 cheese tortellini in the freezer my kids have been begging me to use. I considered cutting the recipe in half since there were only 4 of us having it for lunch: I'm so glad I didn't. My children all agreed that it deserved more then 5 stars (that's something I normally only hear if it is junk food related). My one daughter who doesn't like spicy food at all, would take a bite, comment about the spice, sip some water and then take another bite...she managed to do that through 3 bowls of soup! This will be on our table quite often.Reply
see 11 more