Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes
I don’t know where I got this recipe. It has been in my files for awhile now. I haven’t tried it yet, but it sounds like a great, easy vegetarian dinner. Serve with rice or cous cous.
- Ready In:
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup cottage cheese (ricotta would work too)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Heat oven to 425. Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Cut the top ¼ inch off of the tomatoes. Scoop out the pulp and seeds. Discard the seeds and reserve the pulp. Chop the pulp.
- Combine with cheeses, bread crumbs and spinach.
- Stuff the tomatoes and place in the baking dish.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake until the tomatoes are soft and the filling is set (about 30 minutes).
- Remove foil and bake for 5 more minutes, allowing the tops to brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is my first stuffed tomato. I really enjoyed it. I loved how the fresh spinach wilts and creates a juicy uniform filling once cookied. I would suggest piling on the filling because it does shrink. I liked the oregano flavor as well. I did however think they needed "something". I think a finishing sprinkle of feta or mozza cheese on top of the stuffed tomato would have finished it off nicely. Thanks for the recipe dicooks! I did enjoy these!