photo by Kiwi Kathy
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup wholemeal self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup wholemeal flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 125 g butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 250 g frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill, dried
- 125 g cottage cheese
- 125 g feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- Firstly make the pastry, or to save time you can use bought pastry. Sift flours and salt into basin, return husks from sifter to basin. Rub in butter, add lemon juice and egg yolk, mix to a pliable dough with hand. Turn onto a lightly-floured surface, roll out to line a 23cm flan tin, trim edges. Bake in moderate hot oven 10 - 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown; cool. Spread evenly with cold filling, bake in a moderate oven 20 - 30 minutes or until set.
- Filling: Put spinach in basin, allow to thaw, reserve liquid. Heat oil in pan, add onions, parsley and crushed garlic, cook until tender, add spinach and liquid and dill. Stir constantly over heat for two minutes, remove from heat; cool. When cold, stir in the cheeses and lightly beaten eggs. Mix well.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Based in Whangarei NZ. My favourite recipe book is by a two NZers, Alison and Simon Holst Meals without Meat. This book is my all time stand by for healthy inexpensive meals. I wouldn't be without it. I love cooking and look forward to preparing meals each evening.