Spinach & Cheese Calzones
A greek-style turnover filled with cheese and spinach. For the calzones you can use pizza dough purchased from your grocery store, or make your own dough. Look for my Pizza Dough recipe in my recipes. Prep time listed includes making the Pizza Dough
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 10 ounces pizza dough, refrigerated
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- If making Pizza Dough start the dough first so it can rise while you make the filling.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and cook onion, covered, over medium-low for about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook, uncovered, for 1 minute. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a mixing bowl and stir in the ricotta, nutmeg, salt and cayenne. Then stir in egg yolk and feta until mixed.
- Sprinkle a large baking sheet with the cornmeal (you may need 2 baking sheets for all 4 calzones). On a flat surface, roll or pat the pizza dough to a rough 12- or 14-inch square. Use a sharp knife or pizza wheel to cut the dough into 4 equal squares. Divide the filling among the dough squares, spooning it onto one diagonal half of each square and leaving about a 1/2-inch margin all around.
- Fold the top over to make a triangle and seal the edges by pressing with a fork. Use a knife to make 3 slashes on the top of each calzone (Don't forget this step - unless you like the exploding kind of calzone).
- Place calzones on the baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with heated marinara sauce for dipping.