Easy Italian Pizza Calzones
Not really a traditional calzone, as there is no ricotta cheese or pizza dough in this recipe, but a quick and easy dinner idea, nonetheless. Adapted from menus4moms.com.
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large skillet, brown and crumble sausage, pour off fat.
- Add 3/4 cup pasta sauce, mushrooms, green pepper and onion.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, unroll crescent dough and separate into 8 rectangles. Firmly press perforations together and flatten slightly.
- In a small bowl mix egg and water, brush on dough edges.
- Stir cheese into meat mixture.
- Spoon equal amounts of meat mixture onto half of each rectangle to within 1/2 inch of edges. Fold dough over filling. Press to seal edges. Arrange on baking sheet; brush with egg mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat remaining pasta sauce; serve with calzones.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION