Spicy Stir-Fried Green Beans and Scallions
Originally from Cook's Magazine. Can be a side dish (4 servings) or a vegetarian main course (2 servings)
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3⁄4 lb green beans, cut on bias into 1 . 5-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, cut into 1 . 5-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- Mix soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy skillet (12") over high heat until extremely hot. Carefully swirl 2 tablespoons oil to coat the bottom. Fry green beans, flipping every 30 seconds or so with a wide spatula, until slight charred and crisp-tender - about 4 minutes. Add scallions, continue cooking in same manner until scallions are charred and beans are tender.
- Make a well in the center of the pan; mash garlic and remaining 1 t. oil together. Fry until fragrant - about 5 seconds - and stir into vegetables. Add soy mixture and toss into vegetables to coat; Cook until liquid is reduced by about half, about 15 seconds. Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION