Spicy Sausage and Vegetable Strata
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs bulk hot Italian sausages
- 1 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 12 slices bread, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion and bell pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Carefully drain off extra grease.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and mustard.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to a greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking; keeping the foil on.
- Bake at 350 degrees 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 40 to 45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am blessed with a wonderful dh and four fantastic, crazy children. I am a stay at home mom who works from son up till son down. My favorite cookbook is not one that I cook with very often, it actually sits on top of my pantry propped up in an old basket. The cookbook was given to my grandmother just prior to her marriage to my grandfather and it has the family prayer and some recipes that my great-grandmother penned in her own hand inside. It is called All About Home Baking. <a href="http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/?action=view¤t=daringdingos.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/daringdingos.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/Swap14.JPG"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/GrassTree.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/Erica.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/BottleBrush.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/Darwinia.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/babygrey-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/Correa.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/picNW72Oj-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/picCdyPjI-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/pic9ysNPn-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/picbtGrUW-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/pictSF7ey-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/my3chefsnov2008.jpg"> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group10peppers.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap2/group04cherry.jpg> <img src="http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/bb_babe626/Recipes/makemyrecipebannnner.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif">