Spicy Raisin Quick Bread
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
1 small loaf
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup dark seedless raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together whole wheat pastry flour, oat flour, baking powder, ground allspice, ground cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together egg, nonfat milk, light brown sugar, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix until just combined; then gently stir in dark seedless raisins.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan, and level the top.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes; then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Made exactly as stated and had some fears while preparing it. The dough seemed too runny to hold the raisins, was afraid they would all sink to the bottom. <br/>The size of the loaf pan seemed too small, the dough filled it to the brim. Was afraid it would overflow when baking and in order to keep the oven clean I put a piece of parchment under the pan. Then, should it overflow, the paper would catch it. <br/>Well, none of my fears were grounded. The raisins mingled well and did not sink, the bread rose but did not overflow. It baked for 50 minutes and smelled heavenly from the spices. When it had cooled I tried a slice. Very, very good. It does not crumble apart when sliced, it has a good flavour from both the spices and the different flours. It is very good with butter or a piece of cheese or even plain. <br/>Thanks for posting.<br/>Made for My-3-Chefs, June 2012.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am (and have always been) a So Cal Gal: living in sundresses & flip-flops, happily married to my college ♥ sweetheart ♥, and the proud mom of three adorable (!!!) little doggie daughters--Gidget, Dottie, and Lilly. Life is good (except when it includes earthquakes)! <img title=Cool src=/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif border=0 alt=Cool /></p>