Spicy Mexican Beef Bake
This is something I am throwing together for dinner tonight with things I happen to have on hand. I like to make "bakes" when the weather is cold and it's a bit chilly here in MI today.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef roast
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (16 ounce) package corn tortillas
- 6 roma tomatoes
- 1 green pepper
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 (8 ounce) package cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit.
- Cut the roast in small strips (fajita style), and brown it in a hot pan.
- While the meat is browning shred the cheese, slice the tomatoes, chop the green pepper, and dice the onion.
- After meat is browned, drain off any fat and add taco seasoning along with a half cup of water. Bring up to a simmer.
- Once everything is prepared, lightly grease a 13x9 baking dish and layer ingredients starting with tortillas, then a layer of meat, followed by the tomatoes, green peppers, and onions. Repeat layering, reserving the cheese for the top.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes Remove foil and continue to bake uncovered for additional 15 mins, until cheese just begins to brown.
- You could also add a can of bean (black beans or pinto) as an additional layer if you wish. I would have included in the recipe but I don't happen to have any on hand.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Made this for basement tag! This has a nice taste but the problem is there is no moisture at the end result.This is because the corn tortillas absorb all the liquid even thou I used 1 quart homemade salsa instead of a half cup of water as in the recipe, I also added 1/2 cup of water and it still was not enough.I did know that when I started this recipe just by looking at the ingredients and saw there was no liquid other than the half cup of water! After baking I added sour cream on the side and served and that did help! I think this would be a very good recipe with the addition of moisture or less corn tortillas, maybe 3 on the bottom and 3 in the second layer!1Reply
see 7 more