Spaghetti Squash With Red Sauce
photo by mliss29
- Ready In:
- 4 lbs spaghetti squash (about 1 medium)
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- parmesan cheese, Grated (optional)
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds.
- Place squash, cut side down, on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté tomatoes, mushrooms, green pepper, carrot, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper in oil for 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomato sauce; heat through.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Place squash on a serving platter and top with sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A great meal for two! I par boil the squash in the microwave in 10 min increments until semi-soft, then finish off by roasting at 375 for 15 or so minutes. I had some fresh ground sweet italian sausage & started this in the frying pan while adding 2 cloves garlic, small bag of pearl onions, 1/2 diced green onion, 4 oz sliced button mushrooms-- saute all med. heat & add a spash or two of dry red wine. I added fresh oregano, sage, thyme & dry marjoram & parsley, added ground white pepper to taste. Once the wine cooks off added 1 tbsp brown sugar with ~ 2cups seeded, skinned tomatoes and 1 can italian herb tomato paste. I added milk until getting the desired sauce consistency. I seved as suggested here. Freshly grated parmesan on top! What a great pasta alternative (I am putting my husband on a diet w/out his knowing:) Priceless.
This was great! But unfortunately I didn't follow directions about cooking the squash. The squash itself came with a sticker suggesting that I just poke it with a fork and microwave it for 15 minutes. Uh oh! If you're going to try that? Use a *big* fork. LOL. Poof! What was that! Oooo! I get to clean the microwave again! The sauce was excellent and the spaghetti squash was really fun and tasty. Reviewed for the Veg*n Recipe Swap. Check the thread if you want to see the microwave mess! hee hee.
Using a 2 1/2 lb squash, I halved this recipe for the most part, but used just 1/3 cup of sliced mushrooms, but other than that the recipe was followed! Easy to make & a nice side dish! Another time I might increase the garlic and/or add some lemon pepper! [Made & reviewed in the Family Picks part of Zaar World Tour 4]
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I LOVE-- **Jesus--my savior **life **working at the zoo **cooking fun new healthy food..and when my family actually eats it **cleaning **gardening-- especially flowers that attract butterflies ** MUSIC - piano is my release from stressful life **my family!! **being yearbook editor and nhs president!! <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif"> <img src="http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1984/jefesdelabk5.jpg">