Properly Prepared Spaghetti Squash
This recipe can be substituted in ANY pasta sauce or recipe, and it can be eaten hot or cold. Very versatile main or side dish - and very hard to screw up.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- Preheat oven to 350-375.
- Halve raw spaghetti squash with a sturdy sharp knife, scoop out, and discard the squash poop with a spoon.
- Place halves onto an oven safe cooking dish face up.
- Clean head of garlic and thinly slice garlic, (the larger pieces of garlic brown nicely, and offer a wonderful layer of complexity to the dish).
- Spread garlic into the bowl like shape of the squash, salt and pepper vigorously, drizzle with a 50/50 mixture of olive oil, and vegetable oil (get the oil everywhere inside the squash).
- Place onto the upper middle rack of the oven for about 30-40 minutes. (You will know it is ready when the squash separates with little resistance from the skin).
- Remove from oven, and place in coldest location possible for at least 20 minutes, before separating from skin.
- Use a fork to scoop and separate squash strands, add any other ingredients you like at this point.
- Parmesan, Romano, or Pecorino, Feta, are all excellent additions to this dish, as well as, meat, sausage, veggies, olives, the list is endless.
- WARNING **** If you use a loose tomato based sauce DO NOT add it immediately to the squash; this makes the squash runny, mushy, and unpalatable. Instead garnish the dish with a little bit of sauce atop the squash, and then offer more sauce on the side, in a separate dish.
- If you ever had it served this way you know what I mean.
- You can also take any leftovers and add a little bit of flour, and make into patties and fry.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Don't cut the squash from pole to pole (the stem end to the blossom end). That cuts all the squash fibers in half. Instead, cut the squash around the equator (the middle). You may have to slice the poles to get a flat spot for the squash to sit on. The result is nice long squash strands. Long enough to twirl like pasta spaghetti.14Replies 3
see 108 more