Southwest Spaghetti Squash
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise.
- Remove and discard seeds.
- Place squash, cut side down, in greased baking pan.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until just tender.
- Using fork, remove spaghetti-like strands from hot squash and place strands in large bowl.
- Add tomatoes with juice, beans, 1/2 cup cheese, cilantro, cumin, garlic salt and pepper; toss well.
- Spray 1 1/2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon mixture into casserole.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve immediately.
This was GREAT! I used about a 4.5 lb squash, I used 2 cans of Rotel (1 original and 1 Mexican Style) but I only used the liquid from the original Rotel. I used about 1/2 cup of Monterey Jack cheese and 1/2 cup sharp cheddar because that is what I had on hand. I baked it in a 9x13 dish for about 30 minutes and it turned out perfect! I served with sour cream, and some used flour tortilla or tortilla chips and some ate it with nothing! Thanks for the recipe--I will definitely make this again!
This was good! I will make it again. I use the microwave way to prepare the squash: pierce the skin, put in micro 5-6 min/lb until skin is soft. Then you can very easily cut open the squash to scoop out seeds and "spaghetti". Saves a lot of time and frustration! I added a jalapeno pepper and used more cheese. This would be good with frozen or canned corn, too!
Who would have thought that such simple ingredients would be SO delicious! My husband and I enjoyed this so much, and he's always a little skiddish about a dinner without meat. Oh, and don't forget that you can roast the seeds of the spaghetti squash with a little olive oil & salt. They're great to munch on while you are cooking dinner! I just threw mine in the oven on a separate pan while my squash was cooking.