South City Apple Crumble
photo by amilysanchez98
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Peel, core & slice apples and place into medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, vanilla and cinnamon (or all spice) to apples and mix until apples are coated.
- Place apple mixture into 8X8 glass baking dish.
- Soften butter, stir until creamy and place in another bowl.
- Add flour and brown sugar until mixture looks like little peas.
- Cover apples with flour mixture making sure apples are coated.
- Place uncovered baking dish onto lower oven rack.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 50-55 minutes (or until corners are dark brown & crispy).
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or espresso.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The spices are just perfect and we loved this dessert. I only used the 1/2 c of sugar in the apple mixture and thought that was just right for us. I did have trouble getting the top to brown up so I dotted on a bit more butter and turned the heat up to 350F for 15 minutes more. Perfect! Made for Spring Pick A Chef 2011. Thx southcitygal!
Oh boy, this was so good! My husband just went on and on about it. He said it was one of the top 3 desserts I have EVER made! The only way it could have been any better is if I had had some vanilla ice cream to go with it. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! Made for Pick A Chef, Spring 2011.
Originally this was supposed to be made just for the 2 of us to savor & enjoy, but friends came by as it was cooling, & it didn't last very long after that! Gala apples are one of my favorite, & they certainly worked well in this crumble! And, just so you know ~ I'm a big fan of the very, very flavorful Saigon cinnamon, so used that here! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]