Skillet Corn Cakes
- Ready In:
8 corn cakes
- 3 cups fresh corn, off the cob (or frozen)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, for greasing skillet
- tomatillo guacamole, recipe follows
- mango salsa, recipe follows
- 6 -8 tomatillos, husked and coarsely chopped (about 8 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, coarsely chopped with seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and quartered
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup diced mango
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons minced serrano chilies
- lime, juice and zest of
- Add 2 cups of the corn to a food processor and puree. Combine the pureed corn with the softened butter, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Stir in the masa harina, and flour, and mix until blended. Fold in the remaining corn kernels.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Drop 1/2 cup portions of the batter into the hot skillet forming patties. Cook until the cakes are golden brown on one side, and flip over. Continue cooking until the cakes are cooked through and golden brown on both sides.
- Serve the corn cakes as they are, or adorned with shredded cabbage, Tomatillo Guacamole, sour cream, and Mango Salsa.
- Combine the tomatillos, cilantro, avocado, onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, cumin, and salt in a food processor or blender and pulse until combined.
- Combine the mango, tomatoes, minced onion, cilantro, chile, lime zest, and lime juice in a small bowl. Allow the flavors to macerate. Serve as a garnish for the cumin seared scallop tacos.
Corn Cake Variations:
Bacon Corn Cakes:
- Add 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon to the batter just before cooking.
Green Chile Corn Cakes:
- Add 1/4 cup chopped green chiles to the batter just before cooking.
Cumin-Spiced Corn Cakes:
- Add 2 teaspoons ground cumin to the batter just before cooking.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!