Simple Black Bean Burgers
photo by SuacyMama
- Ready In:
8 4-8 patties
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed, & Dried
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cut into small pieces (or just grate it)
- 1⁄2 onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (I use the Indian Brand Mother's recipe look for a sort of stringy paste or grate your own)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 cups plain breadcrumbs (cups-eyeball it)
- If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Place a paper towel in bowl and put rinsed beans inside (this is important dry beans help this stick together).
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans. (I use my grater when this is not an option).
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, black pepper, and cumin.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into 4-8 patties depending your size preference for me 1/2 a can of beans makes 4 small sized patties. I prefer the baked version.
- If baking, place patties on lightly prepped baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
- If frying lightly coat pan with oil and fry on medium low heat until browned and crispy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!