Rich Lemon Muffins
photo by Charmie777
- Ready In:
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tins.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt; blend well.
- Melt butter. Turn off heat, stir in lemon juice, eggs and most of lemon zest, reserving some zest for garnish on top of muffins.
- Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients and blend until well moistened.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins, sprinkle top of batter with 2 T sugar and remaining zest.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until lightly browned, but do not over bake!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are not your typical muffins, they are more of a corn bread texture. That is the texture I was looking for, so I was very happy. These muffins are very lemony but I have to agree with the other comments (that I did not read ahead of time) the baking powder taste is way too much. I love the texture and the lemon taste and if it was not followed by a strong baking powder taste these would have been great. I will not be making this recipe again.
Made these exactly as directed, except I doubled the recipe. They turned out...doughy? I guess that's the word. They were dry and heavy. I glazed them which helped a little, but not much. All in all I rate these an epic fail. I hope it was just me, but I kind of hope it wasn't as I am not normally an abyssmal baker. Oh well.
see 20 more reviews