Many years ago I was visiting a friend and noticed that she added chopped fresh vegetables to her rice dish. The rice dish had a lot of eye appeal and I decided to copy her idea. She also cooked the dish in the oven. I like cooking the rice in the oven although it does take a lot of extra time. I have prepared the dish by placing everything in a microwave or by sautéing the vegetables first and then adding the rice and cooking on top of the stove. I use the microwave method when I am in a rush and do not have much time. Likewise preparing on top of the stove is quicker than doing it in the oven. However using this method requires the addition of oil (additional calories) which is not needed in the other two methods. The number of servings can be adjusted very easily to suit your needs. I usually use equal amounts of rice, carrots, celery, mushrooms and onions. I especially like this recipe because it has so many vegetables and if I am too tired to cook another side dish it is not necessary. I like to use the left over rice the next day and add sautéed bell peppers and diced canned tomatoes to make the dish a little different from the day before.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the broth, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and onion in oven proof casserole.
- Cover and cook in microwave approximately 4 to 5 minutes to bring mixture to a boil.
- Add rice and stir until well mixed.
- Cover and place in preheated oven for approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir rice once about half way through cooking.
- Watch carefully to avoid overcooking. I like my rice al dente, especially if I have leftovers to repeat the next day.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was super good! I also sauteed the veggies on the stove and added the rice. Then I put it in a casserole dish, covered tightly with foil, and baked according to the directions. <br/>We had plenty left and snacked on it for a couple of days. I might add some peas and slivered almonds next time .......just to enhance it a little more. But this is delicious on it's own. Thanks for a great new recipe for my meals. <br/>DonnaReply