Pumpkin Hash Browns / Vegetarian Pumpkin Burgers
Found this recipe in a Weight Watches Magazine Nov/Dec 2006 edition. They called them pumpkin hash browns but they are more like pumpkin patties. The patty could also be used for a Vegetarian Burger. They recommended Weight Watchers cottage cheese but I think low fat cottage cheese would be alright. Because I don't like eggs, I used 'Egg Like' which is an egg replacer. I skipped the 'garnish step' and serve them with to tomato sauce.
- Ready In:
- 500 g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and coarsely grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 brown onion, coarsely grated
- 4 spring onions or 4 green shallots, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (Known as wholemeal plain flour in Australia)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 30 g baby spinach leaves
- 60 g low-fat ricotta, fresh
- Combine pumpkin, cottage cheese, eggs, brown onion, spring onions and wholemeal plain flour in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Spray with oil. Shape 1/4 cup quantities of pumpkin mixture into patties. Place around edge of pan, allowing room for them to expand. Cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Repeat last step until remaining pumpkin mixture is complete.
- To finish, arrange spinach on serving plates. Place two patties on each plate. Sprinkle ricotta on top and serve.