Chocolate Coconut Balls
photo by BelleofPA
- Ready In:
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flaked coconut (chop if the stands are long)
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large bowl combine confectioners sugar with coconut, almonds and condensed milk.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Place in refrigerator until firm.
- In a microwave-safe bowl melt the chocolate chips with shortening, removing to stir once or twice until smooth.
- Dip each ball into the chocolate mixture allowing the excess chocolate to drip off.
- Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- Store in refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 1 more reviews
My mom and I have been making coconut balls since I was very young, early 80s. We boxed up these and buckeyes, pretzels, breads, and cookies for the staff at my elementary school. We always used a good quality baking/melting chocolate though. I do not want to sound like a food snob, but you can taste the difference when you use chips+shortening versus baking chocolate. The shortening tends to be more soft and oily when set.