Potato & Sauerkraut Bake
Inspired by food I grew up eating. The sauerkraut and fennel makes this potato dish a very European-tasting side that goes great with sausage. Just be sure to squeeze out all that liquid from the kraut.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 fennel bulb, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sauerkraut, very WELL-DRAINED
- fresh cracked pepper
- sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat the butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes, and brown them a bit for 10 minutes, while sitrring every now and then. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the onion, fennel, celery and carrots to the pot; stir and cook for 5 minutes longer. I add just a bit of salt & pepper here too.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sauerkraut. Tranfer mixture to a greased or sprayed 9x13" casserole dish.
- Bake for one hour, and stir every 15 minutes so everything gets nicely browned and nothing burns. I add a small bit of salt and pepper every time I stir as well.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION