Wonderfull with all kinds of bbq meals!! from the local newpaper.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large walla walla onions or 1 large Spanish onion, coarsley chopped
- 2 whole tart cooking apples, sliced and chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained and dried 'til crunchy
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- hot sauce
- Melt butter and bacon drippings if using in a large frypan.
- Swirl to mix.
- Add onion and apples, saute until nearly tender.
- Combine with sauekraut in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, undrained, brown sugar, wine and hot sauce.
- Stir well and turn into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Cover tightly and bake at 325f degrees 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake 30 to 45 minutes more.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Tradition is to have pork and sauerkraut for New Year but I didn't want to make just the plain old pork, sauerkraut and potatoes. I came across this recipe and it sounded different and interesting so I gave it a try. Turned out fabulous, everyone raved about it. I didn't have wine so I just omitted that from the recipe. Made a cranberry orange pork loin roast recipe from Pinterest and it was also wonderful. This sauerkraut recipe is to die for......love it.Reply
see 9 more