Baked Sauerkraut With Apples
This German recipe is borrowed (with a tweak) from Recipes4us.co.uk. The original recipe calls for 120ml beef stock, but I wanted a vegetarian version. You could revert to the beef stock or replace my suggested vegetable stock with a small amount (say ½ teaspoon) of Marmite or Vegemite dissolved in 120ml of very hot water. Recipe posted for Zaar World Tour 2005.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 700 g sauerkraut, drained (28oz)
- 3 medium apples, peeled and diced
- 360 ml white wine
- 120 ml vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Heat the butter in a large oven proof lidded casserole dish, add the onions and sauté until soft and transparent.
- Add the sauerkraut, mix well and cook, uncovered, over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the apples to the sauerkraut mixture together with the wine and enough stock to cover; mix well then continue to cook over a low heat for 30 minutes; preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, gas mark 3 during this cooking time.
- Stir in the sugar and celery seeds then cover and transfer to the oven; bake for 30 minutes and serve hot.