Polish Sausage (Kielbasa) Soup
You can use from 1-3 pounds of sausage depending on your tastes. I love dipping buttered rye bread in the soup - must be my Polish genes.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean fresh kielbasa or 1 1/2 lbs smoked kielbasa, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh dill (optional)
- Melt butter in a large skillet, add sausage, onions and celery, and cook over medium heat until sausage are lightly browned.
- Pour mixture into a soup pot and add remaining ingredients except for potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with dill, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
My family is Polish also and this soup caught my eye immediately. Made exactly as written and enjoyed every bite! I used Eckrich smoked sausage, a bag of cole slaw mix so I didnt have to shred cabbage, matchstick sliced carrots and yukon gold potatoes. Couldnt find any fresh dill at the grocery store so I omitted it but would have been a nice topping. Definitely had the rye bread (no caraway seeds though) and butter ready to dip in my soup. A new favorite to add to my soup recipes! Made and reviewed for the Alphabet tag game.Reply
see 24 more