Krupnik (Polish Mushroom Barley Soup)
photo by FrenchBunny
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- Soak the cepes in a little water for 15 minutes, until they soften.
- Chop all the vegetables finely in 2 batches in the food processor and put them in a pan with the barley and all the water (including the mushroom-soaking water).
- Chop the softened mushrooms in the food processor, and add them to the pot.
- Bring to the boil, remove the scum, season with plenty of salt and pepper, and simmer for 1 hour, or until the barley is very soft and plump.
- The barley will thicken the soup.
- Add water if necessary, to thin it.
- Serve with sour cream, especially if the soup was made with water instead of broth.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was really a great recipe Dee. They only sold 1 oz pkgs. of dried porcinis so that is what I used. I put it in a bowl and added I think about 1 cup boiled water which gave a nice broth to put in with the soup. I used about 13 or 14 cups chicken stock. I put in all the veggies listed. I didn't think it needed any sour cream served with it. Delicious enough with out it. I chopped my own veggies though, didn't take out the processor and it worked out great. The kitchen really smelled good while it was simmering. It is also great that this soup can be put in the pot so quickly. Thanks again Dee for a wonderful soup recipe.
This soup was FANTASTIC! Was looking for a nice barley soup recipe and it was a bonus to find one where i could use the dried porcini mushrooms I bought in Italy last year! I didn't use turnips, carrots or celery, but I did add some fresh mushrooms. I was worried that i had chopped the onions and potato too finely, but I ended up with a beautiful richly textured soup that I could eat for DAYS! I used some beef and vegetable bouillon and added some extra water, and didn't use sour cream. To some of the leftovers I added some chopped shredded chicken breast which made for an even more filling meal. Thanks so much for this recipe - I hope I can recreate the magic a second time!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm married (46 years to the same lucky guy) and have 2 kids, a daughter 41, a son 36, and 2 beautiful grand daughters (8 yrs and 6 yrs). I have always enjoyed cooking and baking, especially breads :) One of my favorite quotes:?? Computers are like air conditioners; they stop working when you open Windows.