Pheasant in Sharp Sauce
Another pheasant recipe posted for a request. This comes from The Poultry and Game Cookbook.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 -2 pheasant, trussed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 14 fluid ounces chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons dry sherry
- white pepper
- Melt the first butter with the oil in a heavy, lidded pan.
- Brown the pheasants on all sides.
- Season lightly with the salt and black pepper.
- Add the stock, vinegar, cayenne or red pepper and bring to simmering point.
- Cover and cook gently for 50-60 minutes, until tender.
- Transfer the pheasants to a heated serving dish and keep hot while you finish the sauce.
- Work the butter and flour together and gradually whisk small pieces into the stock, stirring constantly until it has all been absorbed.
- Stir in the sherry and adjust the seasoning.
- Simmer for 2 minutes, then spoon over the pheasants and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 1 more