Pepper Strip Steak
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 lbs blade steaks or 2 lbs round steaks, cut in strips
- 2 tablespoons oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into rings
- 4 ounces canned mushrooms (I use fresh when possible)
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- Brown meat in hot oil in skillet.
- Remove meat from pan once browned and set aside.
- In same pan combine flour,ketchup,water, soya sauce and pepper.
- Heat med-high heat to boiling.
- Add meat back to pan along with onions.
- Lower heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and green pepper.
- Simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great! I wanted 'steak' for the family tonight without wanting to spring for a more expensive cut. So I bought a couple lbs of top blade steaks without knowing what to do with them. This was the answer! Had no idea what I was doing but I served it with mashed potatoes (and rolls) and it worked out great. The kids are borderline on stuff with onions and peppers but once they tried it, 4 of the 5 had no complaints at all, the last worked around them and filled up on the steak. Great and easy! Thanks for sharing!
Wow! I love pepper steak, but haven't ever made it with ketchup before. You better believe I'm gonna start, though, 'cos this was delicious! I was in a pinch, so I used frozen onions and bell peppers to save time, and didn't have any mushrooms on hand (which i will try for the next time). Second helpings were very difficult to resist! Thanks, PennyG...can't wait to make this again!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Married on Jan 21st, 2005... love to cook and bake though fairly new at cooking for other people. My mother passed away with all her "famous" recipes in her head, so I love this site to ensure great recipes are passed down. I actually use this site daily now!!! My hobbies are cooking, reading, whale watching(my husband's business) and I'm trying to get back into exercising AGAIN... I love to travel, though I don't really do enough of it to classify as a hobby (I wish)...lol <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">