Parsnips with Almonds
- Ready In:
- 450 g parsnips
- 35 g butter
- 25 g flaked almonds
- 15 g brown sugar
- 1 pinch ground mixed spice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
- Cook parsnips in boiling salted water until almost tender.
- Drain well.
- When they are cool enough to handle, cut each one in half across its width, then quarter these halves lengthways.
- Heat butter in a frying pan and cook the parsnips and almonds gently, stirring and turning carefully until they are lightly flecked with brown.
- Mix together the sugar and spice, sprinkle over the parsnips and stir to mix, then trickle over the lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and heat for 1 minute.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Join The Conversation
Fantastic, Evie! Prepared, as the "white" vegetable for the Easter feast. I love nuts, and any vegetable recipe which includes nuts, gets my attention immediately. I used sliced, skinless, almonds which browned up beautifully with the parsnips at the "skillet" step 4. The aroma of cooking almonds and parsnips, and the addition of your suggested seasonings, made dinner guests come into the kitchen to "see what was cookin".... How gratifying it is when comments are made, such as "I do not usually like parsnips, but these are wonderful." It makes me happy you shared your "spiced up parsnips". Thank you Evie.