Oven Swiss Steak
Nice hearty meal on a cold day!
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 2 lbs swiss steak or 2 lbs round steaks
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undraind
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 ounces water
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- hot mashed potatoes
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Cut steak into 4 or 5 servings; dredge in flour mixture.
- Brown on both sides in hot oil; remove to large baking dish.
- Place vegetables over steak; pour tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and Worcestershire over all.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2- 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Serve with sauce spooned over the mashed potatoes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made this the other night when it was very cold out. I served it with mashed potatoes (mashed with cream cheese and sour cream). My family really liked this dish. My oldest son (17) told me that I had to make it again. I doubled the recipe as there are five of us and used all carrots because I had no celery. It turned out great By the way I do not think you can over cook this I had it in the oven for almost three over and it was delicious and not dried out at all. Also I put tinfoil in my casserole dish and wrapped it all up like a big package. Made for easy cleanup!