Oven Roasted Classic Swiss Steak
photo by AmyMCGS
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 lb boneless beef bottom round swiss steak (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 small onion, cut into rings
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried and crushed thyme
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Cut meat into 4 serving size pieces.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper, along with the meat, in a ziplock bag; shake to coat meat.
- In a skillet, brown meat in oil; transfer to a 2 quart baking dish.
- In the same skillet, combine the tomatoes, onion, celery,carrots and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Pour over the meat and add all scraped, browned bits.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I guess I was so satisfied with my dinner that I forgot to rate this the first time I made it. I am fixing it for our dinner again tonight. YUMMMY! We love this! Today I put it in my crockpot because I will be away from home and thought I would try it. I suspect that I will prefer it in the oven though, it was PERFECT! But ..... the meat I pulled out of the freezer was unmarked and when I pulled it out of the refrigerator this morning, I realized that it was a rib steak! That might make up for it being cooked in the crock pot!
This was it-- the Swiss Steak recipe I lost a year ago and have been looking for ever since. :) I'm so happy to have found it again! I cut my steak into bite sized pieces, and it was very thin, so I only had to bake it about 35 minutes and it was very tender. Served with mashed potatoes, biscuits, and green beans for a wonderful meal.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Welcome! I joined this website in 2001, as a new wife and Mom of a 1 y/o and I was 28 yrs old and did not know about cooking. I found this website cause I searched the web and wanted to find a good recipe for carrots! I found that recipe and so much more here over the years. I learned so much from this website and opened up my eyes to other recipes. I now am 46 y/o. I am now divorced and my then 1 y/o son is now a Marine. I have a wonderful man in my life that loves and appreciates my cooking and I thank this site for all of its help. I still come here for recipes. I hope you like my recipes and your family enjoys them also....there is many here and I love to pass them on.