Smothered Oven Swiss Steak
This makes a wonderful flavored, fork tender Swiss steak.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- chuck round steak, cut into serving size pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Combine flour, salt and pepper. Pound 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture into meat.
- In a large skillet, add oil and brown meat on both sides over very high heat. Transfer meat to a 12x8x2 baking dish.
- Stir remaining flour mixture into pan drippings in skillet. Stir in undrained tomatoes, onion and Worcestershire sauce. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Pour over meat in baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until meat is tender.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I have made Swiss Steak like this for years! However, I don't put mine in the oven. I just cover it and cook it on top of the stove. I imagine you could use a slow cooker, too, once you have browned the meat. It is never dry this way and has a wonderful flavor (I add more Worcestershire because I love it). I serve with mashed potatoes and green beans. Thanks for sharing!Reply
see 1 more