Oregano Chicken with Orzo
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 30mins
- 4 medium skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄3 cups orzo pasta
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pitted ripe olives
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano
- Brown chicken breasts in hot oil in a large skillet; drain off fat.
- Add the fennel, onion, and garlic to a 4-quart slow-cooker.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- In a small bowl, add the water, balsamic vinegar, bouillon granules, dried oregano (if using), and crushed red pepper flakes; stir to mix then pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (if using); check for seasoning and add salt/pepper if desired.
- Prepare orzo according to package directions; drain.
- Add tomato, cheese, olives, and remaining fresh oregano into orzo; stir to combine; season with salt/pepper if desired.
- Serve chicken and vegetables with orzo.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent recipe! I used regular balsamic vinegar and baked it in a Dutch oven for 3 hours at 275 degrees. I forgot the tomatoes, but the feta and olives in the orzo are nice salty/tangy bites that cut the richness of the chicken. I think next time I will try cooking the orzo directly in the broth left over from cooking the chicken. Thanks!