Open-Faced Sandwiches With Herbed Cream Cheese and Baby Cucumber
photo by Linky
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softenened
- 1 scallion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finally chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely snipped (extra for garnish)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch table salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- crispbread crackers or european rye bread, to serve
- baby cucumber, thinly sliced, to serve
- optional: smoked salmon and very thinly sliced red onion
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, scallion, parsley, chives, dill, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Reserve a small amount of fresh dill for garnish. Mix until everything is evenly distributed. Cover and chill the mixture for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture on a crispbread cracker or rye bread (best if lightly toasted). Repeat until all of the cream cheese mixture has been used.
- Top with cucumber slices, and sprinkle with reserved fresh dill. Eat immediately!
- Variation: Instead of baby cucumbers, top the herbed cream cheese mixture with smoked salmon and red onions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
DH is out of town and he won't eat cucumbers, so took the opportunity to make this for supper. I remembered that I had a tin of smoked herring stashed away that he also won't eat. I figured if salmon would work, so would the herring and it sure did! Boy, did I eat well - this was delicious! Loved all the herbs and the tiny bit of crunch from the scallion. Both the ones with herring and only cucumber were very good! Oh, I used German Schwarzbrot/Black rye bread right out of the package! Yum!
Made for the Scandinavian Region of CQ4 & the Happy Campers team. While I made the heart of your recipe (the cream cheese blend) as written, I did dress-up the presentation a bit to offer a greater variety of options & then combined it w/another appy type open-faced sammie to make a dinner meal for Siggi & myself. I used sliced sourdough, dark rye & a dense brown bread w/a hint of sweetness that resembled molasses. I served the excess of the cream cheese blend on-the-side w/assorted crackers & had 1 lonely bit of bread topped w/thin-shaved smoked trout. Siggi was very pleased to have a change of pace so traditional for our dinner tonight. I was pleased w/our tasty meal too, but esp w/its easy & quick fix prep. Thx for sharing this recipe w/the Quest.
Very tasty sandwich! I adore dill and cream cheese plus the other herbs made a great spread. Had a couple pumpernickel hard rolls that I sliced in half and added the cream cheese then topped with cucumbers and a sprinkle of chopped dill. Couldnt have been better! Made and reviewed for Susie's World Tour 2019 - Benelux.