Oatmeal Skillet Bread
This is from my great stack of mystery clippings from magazines and newspapers with my scribbled notes on them, so alas, I can't give proper credit to whoever came up with the recipe originally. I can share the version I use to dress up a bowl of soup and sneak more oatmeal into my diet.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter or 1/4 cup margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and 3 Tbsp of the oats in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture is crumbly.
- Combine egg, buttermilk, and brown sugar in a separate bowl; add these wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- Spread dough in a greased 9-inch cast iron skillet.
- Sprinkle with remaining oats.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve warm.