New Potato Bake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
An easy potato side dish for a family meal
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs small red new potatoes, quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (9 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch scallions or 1 bunch spring onion, trimmed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon plain breadcrumbs
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place potatoes and salt in large saucepan. Add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil; simmer 8 minutes. Just before draining, add spinach. Drain.
- Sauce: In small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add scallions; cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle flour over scallions and whisk to blend. In 2 additions, whisk in warm milk until smooth. Add salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat. Whisk in 1 cup of the cheese.
- Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half the potatoes and spinach in dish; spoon half the sauce over. Sprinkle with half the remaining cheese. Top with remaining potatoes and sauce. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes. Top with bread crumbs. Bake 10 minutes more until browned. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION