Mushroom Bean Burger
photo by Chef Michael Callah
- Ready In:
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms (diced)
- 2 cups cooked black beans (rinsed and divided)
- 1 cup fresh broccoli, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs (substitute gluten free if desired)
- 1 tablespoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (substitute Bragg's Aminos if desired)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, fresh, grated
- 1 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl add 1 cup of black beans and mash with a potato masher fairly well.
- Next, add the mushrooms, along with the rest of the beans, broccoli, garlic, onion and steak seasoning and mix just until combined.
- Add in the eggs, cheese, bread crumbs, and parsley then mix gently until the mixture is combined.
- Set this mixture aside while you place a medium-sized non-stick pan over medium heat and add in 2 Tbl of oil.
- Once the oil comes up to temperature (starts to shimmer), using moistened hands, scoop a 1/2 cup of mixture into the palm of your hand and gently shape into a burger all the while pressing together. )Add an extra tablespoon of Panko if the patties do not hold their shape.).
- Place in the oil and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and a crust has formed on each side.
- Note: these burger patties pair well with hummus and other more traditional burger sides -- .
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Since becoming a member several years ago I've switched my focus, and have become a health coach as well as a chef. Therefore, you will be seeing more healthy options coming in the future. Stay tuned to my BLOG for updates as they develop. (http://chefcallahan.com) and (https://www.facebook.com/groups/HealthyMeAndYou/) Chef of the Day March 19, 2010 Contact me if you need ServSafe Manager Training!</p>