Monterey Breakfast Egg Bakes
photo by Valerie B.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup sliced ham, cut in one inch strips about 2-3 inches long
- 4 cups diced raw potatoes
- 3 flour tortillas, white taco size, about 9 inch size cut in to quarters or 3 wheat, taco size, about 9 inch size cut in to quarters
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced red pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, dash
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Cooking the potatoes.
- Add diced potatoes and 2 Tablespoons cooking oil to a baking dish with cover and microwave 8 minutes.
- In large frying pan heat up on medium heat and cook ham for 3-4 minutes to slightly brown, remove and set aside.
- Add 2 T oil to large frying pan and add microwaved potatoes and cook at medium heat until browned, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cooking the onions and peppers.
- In small frying pan add 1 Tablespoon cooking oil and add onion and cook over medium low heat for 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn the onions, add diced red pepper and cook an additional 3 minutes. Set aside cooked onions and red pepper in small mixing bowl.
- Making the Egg Mixture.
- In medium size bowl add eggs, buttermilk, cheeses, cooked onions, and cooked red peppers, salt, and dash of black pepper, mix well.
- Putting it all together.
- Cut flour taco shells in quarters and place three pieces of cut taco shell in each miniature pie pan, with pointed end down, and overlap each so the egg mixture will not leak through, this will make the crust for each miniature breakfast pie. Brush flour tortillas with butter and place in 350 degree preheated oven for 4 minutes.
- Remove flour taco crusts from oven and add about ¼ cup egg mixture to each of 4 miniature pie pans, add all of the potatoes dividing between the 4 pie pans, top each with remaining egg mixture, and top each with ¼ of the ham. Bake 350 degrees for 35- 45 minutes until done, test with toothpick for doneness. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!