Mom's Swiss Steak
photo by Debbie R.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 lb beef round steak, 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 4 ounces canned mushroom pieces, drained
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cooked noodles
- Cut round steak into 3 x 1 inch strips.
- Heat oil. Brown strips in it. Add onion, salt and pepper. (Note you can probably omit the salt if your tomato juice has salt in it.) Cook long enough to soften onion.
- Blend in flour, then tomato juice and mushrooms.
- Cover and cook over low heat one hour or until meat is tender.
- Mix together evaporated milk and lemon juice and then stir it into the meat. Warm, but do not boil.
- Serve over cooked noodles.
- Do not freeze leftovers.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!