Mom's Cinnamon Rolls
This is an old family recipe. Try it; you'll be happy you did!
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1.5 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast (3-1/4 teaspoons)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (butter flavor if you have it)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 -5 cups sifted flour
- butter, melted
- brown sugar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -4 tablespoons milk or 2 -4 tablespoons cream
- Add the yeast to the warm water. Let sit while preparing rolls. Put a little sugar in the mixture to feed the yeast. It should rise.
- Scald milk; add shortening.
- Add sugar and salt and cool to tepid.
- Add beaten egg and yeast.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time beating after each addition. Add 4 cups flour. Dough will be soft but firm enough to handle. Add more flour a little at a time until you can handle the dough.
- Knead on a floured surface until elastic and smooth.
- Place in an oiled bowl and let rise 1-1/2 hours or refrigerate overnight.
- Press dough down and divide into workable sections.
- Roll out into a rectangle.
- Cover with melted or softened butter.
- Mix cinnamon and brown sugar and spread over melted butter generously.
- Roll up jellyroll style and pinch ends to seal.
- Cut into slices 1 inch thick (I use dental floss to slice evenly).
- Place in greased pan leaving space to rise. Let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly brown.
For the Frosting:
- Beat powdered sugar, melted butter and vanilla together, adding milk or cream to make a thick consistency.
- Spread over warm rolls to let frosting melt.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation