photo by Pam-I-Am
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup brown sesame seeds, either toasted (white sesame seeds will do in a pinch) or 1/2 cup untoasted sesame seeds (white sesame seeds will do in a pinch)
- 2 -3 tablespoons regular sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (the toasted sesame oil will give the sesame seeds "depth", especially if you choose not to toast)
- If you have the time, lightly toast the sesame seeds and allow to cool then proceed. If pressed for time, bypass the toasting.
- In food processor or blender combine all *ingredients and blend until relatively smooth. Add more oil if necessary to aid in blending. There definitely will be whole seeds remaining no matter how well you blend, and that's okay.
- Mixture will be very oily and not very smooth. (Remember, this is an emergency!) ;).
- If time permits, allow tahini to set for 30 minutes.
- NOTE: If you don't have any time available to toast or blend the seeds then omit those steps and add the whole seeds and oil directly into your recipe, depending of course on what you are preparing. It's a judgment call.
- Very important to be sure your sesame seeds are fresh before starting this recipe! If not, your tahini will taste rancid. ALWAYS keep sesame seeds refrigerated!
- Refrigerate any leftover tahini.
- *Bear in mind that my measurements are approximated. Adjust amounts accordingly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I like to make my own hummus but don't like to pay $8 for a jar of tahini that is going to spoil in my refrigerator. I turned to 'Zaar and found this recipe. I was short on time so I placed toasted sesame seeds in my food processor with 2 T regular sesame oil. (I didn't have toasted). I turned the processor on and the seeds sank to the bottom below the blade and would not come up. I proceeded to dump all the hummus ingredients ( # 11424) in the food processor and whirled them all at the same time. The end result is a wonderful hummus brought together by two 'Zaar recipes. Thanks for sharing. This will become my only tahini.
see 1 more reviews