Mika's Low Fat Macaroni and Cheese
photo by Mika G.
- Ready In:
- 4 cups elbow macaroni, cooked (about 8 oz. dry)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 8 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons onions, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons stick low-fat margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon stick low-fat margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- While noodles are cooking, mix together next 9 ingredients.
- Mix in cooked pasta, and pour into a 2 quart casserole dish sprayed with Pam.
- Mix bread crumbs, paprika and 1 TBSP melted margarine and sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes @ 350 degrees.
- Remove tin foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have a very similar recipe, only I use whole wheat pasta and fat-free cottage cheese. Like Mika G. says, it may be low-fat, but it sure doesn't taste like it! This has been a family favorite for quite a while now. Sometimes I add some chopped 98% fat free ham, just for fun. This recipe is a keeper!
Mmmm what comfort food! I'll first say what changes I made: I halved this recipe and cooked it in two loaf pans, making 4 servings. To make it super easy, I just blended all the sauce ingrediants in my Magic Bullet. It was a nice smooth sauce after that! I used whole wheat pasta and fat-free cottage cheese. I used green onions, but next time I think I will use the usual. I didn't have low-fat chedder, so I used half full-fat aged chedder, and half very low fat mild white cheese. I missed the tang of all chedder, so next time I'll just go buy some light chedder. Also, instead of bread crumbs and margarine, I just toasted some wheat germ with the paprika and sprinkled that on top for some fiberous crisp. Very, very delish though. Next time I'll just have to get that cheddar and that should fix the tang problem!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a working wife and mother of 3. My boys are teenagers (17 and 19)and my daughter is 10 years old. My daughter was adopted from South Korea and because of that Korean food has become one of my passions. We visited Korea for two weeks in the summer of 2007 and had the best time ever! We love Korea! </p> <p><br /><a href=http://www.niftymaps.com/visitor-map.php?id=32782><img src=http://i.niftymaps.com/32782.png border=0 alt=Click to zoom in on my visitor map! /></a> <br /> <br />Click on the map to see my most recent visitors! :) <br /> <br /> <br /><a href=http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc269/erinalexa00/Anne%20Taintor/?action=view&current=37081.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc269/erinalexa00/Anne%20Taintor/37081.jpg border=0 alt=Anne Taintor Make Your Own Damn Dinner Retro Vintage /></a></p>