Low Fat Mexican Macaroni and Cheese
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 ounces light processed cheese (Light Velveeta)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- Boil water for the macaroni. Cook the noodles in the water until done, usually 7-9 minutes.
- While the noodles are cooking cube the cheese.
- When the noodles are done drain them and then return to the pan.
- Add the cubed cheese and taco seasoning. Stir well, until the cheese is melted.
- When melted, add the salsa and serve.
Join The Conversation
We made as directed except I only added salsa and taco seasoning to half. I added the full amounts though, and it was a bit too spicy for me. I did use medium salsa and free handed taco seasoning spices, so that's probably on me. Also, we served as a main dish, so I got four servings. I made ours with whole wheat rotini and 5 oz of light Velveeta. The nutrional information does not include the cheese, so I figured the calorie info on fitday.com. According to that site, the recipe has 442 calories per serving, 5.3 grams of fat, 82.3 grams of Carbs, and 22.7 grams of protein. (2 cups whole wheat pasta, 1/4 cup salsa, and 1.25 oz light Velveeta). We will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing!
Awesome mac and cheese! I used corkscrew pasta for this dish and it turned out very nice. Lots of flavor with the taco seasoning and homemade salsa. Very easy to make and fast as well. I used 8 ounces of light velveeta cheese. Made for "low in" or "Free of" challenge in the photo forum. Thanks Ladypit for another fantasic recipe.