Mexican Breakfast Bake
photo by May I Have That Rec
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large anaheim or new mexican green chili pepper (or 2 small hot chile peppers, cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 cups bpa-free canned black beans, drained and rinsed well (or cooked black beans)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 ounce queso fresco, separated into 4 pieces
- 2 ounces avocados, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. In large saucepot on medium-high, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, pepper, and potato. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, cumin, chile powder and paprika. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, until potatoes soften.
- Mist 4 16-oz ramekins with cooking spray. Place 1 cup vegetable mixture into each ramekin and spread outside edges, making a well in the center. Carefully crack 1 egg in center well of each ramekin.
- Bake for 5 minutes, until eggs are set; remove from oven. Set oven to broil on high. Add ramekins back to oven and broil for 5 minutes, until eggs are soft set (for firmer eggs, broil 5 more minutes). Remove from oven and sprinkle each dish with 1 tbsp cilantro, 1/4 oz cheese and 2 or 3 slices avocado. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!