Mexican Bean Burgers W/ Lime Yogurt & Salsa
- Ready In:
- 2 (14 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and draimed
- 4 ounces breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stalks and leaves chopped
- 1 egg
- 7 ounces salsa
- 1⁄4 pint low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 6 whole grain buns
- Heat grill/broiler to high.
- Tip the beans into a large bowl, then roughly crush with a potato masher.
- Add the breadcumbs, chili powder, cilantro stalks and half of the leaves, egg and 2 tablespoons salsa.
- Season to taste and then mix together well with a fork.
- Divide the mixture into 6, then wet your hands and shape into burgers. If you are freezing them this is the time where the burgers can be frozen.
- Place on a non-stick baking tray, then grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until crisp. If cooking from frozen, bake for 20 to 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
- While the burgers are cooking, mix the remaining cilantro leaves with the yogurt, lime juice and a good grind of black pepper.
- Split the buns in half and spread the bases with some of the yogurt.
- Top with any lettuce, onion, etc that you might like and then put a burger on top.
- Put another dollop of lime yogurt and some salsa on top of burger and put the other half of the bun on top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation