Melted Cheese With Potatoes and Pickles (Raclette)
Posted for ZWT7- Switzerland. Found on alleasyrecipes.com.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb imported raclette cheese, cut into 16 slices, each approximately 1/8-inch thick, 5 inches long and 2 inches wide
- 4 freshly boiled tiny new potatoes, peeled and kept hot
- 4 -8 small sour gherkins, preferably imported cornichons
- 4 -8 pickled onions
- Preheat the oven to 500* for at least 15 minutes. Heat four 10-inch ovenproof dinner plates in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes. To ensure the success of the raclette, the plates must be very hot.
- When ready to serve, remove the plates from the oven, grasping them with potholders, and, as quickly as possible, arrange four slices of cheese in the center of each plate, overlapping them slightly. The cheese should begin to sizzle as soon as it comes in contact with the plate.
- At once, place the four plates on the rack lowest to the source of heat.
- In about 5 to 6 minutes the cheese should melt to a creamy, bubbly mass; do not let it turn the slightest bit brown.
- Remove from the oven, place a potato and one or two gherkins and pickled onions on the side of each plate and serve at once, setting each plate on a service plate to prevent it from scorching the table.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I had never heard of Raclette before moving to Germany a few years ago, but we love it and it's become a winter celebration staple. The traditional is featured here, but the possibilities are endless. We add grilled onions/peppers, cooked cherry tomatoes, chopped bacon, grilled sausages. Thank you CJAY for sharing this great recipe.Reply