Bacalhau a Algarvia - Golden Codfish With Potatoes
photo by meeshmassa17
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Day Before: Place the cod pieces in a pyrex dish, large enough so that the pieces can be spread out flat and each be completely covered with water. Let them soak for 12 hours in the fridge, then change the water and leave them for another 12 hours.
- Cook the whole potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for about 20 minutes (done but not overcooked). Remove from the water and peel them while they are hot. Slice them into 1/2 inch cirlces and set aside in a warm place (such as a bowl with a lid). You could complete this step the day before.
- Remove the cod from the fridge, rinse it and pat dry. Remove any bones or tough parts. Cut the fish into 2 inch squares. Dredge the fish pieces in flour.
- In a saute/fry pan, heat about half of the olive oil over a medium flame. Brown the fish pieces, in a single layer, turning them so that they cook evenly. When lightly brown, remove the pieces with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. You may need to do this in a few batches depending on the size of your pan.
- In the remaining oil already in the pan, saute the garlic and onion until lightly brown. Place the cod pieces in the middle of a serving platter and sprinkle the onion and garlic on top. Keep warm in the oven.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan and saute the potato slices until lightly brown. Drain out any remaining oil and then gently toss the potatoes with the parsley. Surround the fish on the platter with the potatoes and serve. Complete the meal with a simple green salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WOW WOW!! You certainly brought back memories magpie. I use to make my Cod like this when I was married. I can't believe I haven't fried my Cod in over 17 years. I loved this recipe. I did it as the recipe is written, but when I was married I use to add to the onion some sweet pepper rings, pinch of paprika, and a few dashes of Tabasco sauce. Try it, you'll like it if you like this recipe. Thank you so much for a great dinner yesterday. I also served your "Recipe #370847" along side. Waited for last to take photos, that I will post later. Made for Fall PAC 09
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I first discovered recipezaar?when googling for some recipe that I can't even remember now.??Before long I was?totally addicted and still?find it such a helpful resource for all sorts of things. People have really great ideas on this site, good senses of humour and, well, good recipes.