Baked Bacalhau / Salted Cod
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs salt cod fish, changing the water at least 3 times a day that is 1 pound after soak and drying (soaked for two nights)
- 4 -6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, high quality
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 20 portuguese black olives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a large pot of water bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes and remove placing on towels to air dry.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup olive oil in a large heavy bottom pan Saute garlic for 30 seconds and stir in potatoes, then sliced onions and peppers.
- Mix salt pepper, parsley and paprika together.
- Season the vegetables with 3/4 of the mix.
- Season the cod with the remaining spice mix.
- Nestle the cod in between the vegetable mix.
- Drizzle with Olive oil and add white wine.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until its all cooked through.
- Toss the mixture every once or twice so that all flavours get incorporated.
- Raise oven to 425. Toss and top with olives baking for 10 more minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Salted cod was the staple for slaves in the western hemisphere. When preparing this recipe folks might take note. Using two sweet potatoes in addition to two white potatoes and dicing up a Habanero pepper add South American flavors to the recipe, taking it to very interesting places. Sauvignon Blanc and Kalamata olives also enhance the flavors.