Mediterranean Tuna Stuffed Tomato
This is far from the traditional tuna salad. This tastes like summer if you use garden fresh tomatoes. A great lunch idea and can be made ahead. I served this with crunchy bread sticks and fresh fruit. Created for RSC #6 Contest.
- Ready In:
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, well drained
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons capers, well drained
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄8 cup purple onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- Place tuna, green & red peppers, capers, pistachios, parsley flakes, and purple onion in medium size bowl.
- Make dressing by placing all ingredients into a blender or mini chopper; pulse until oil is emulsified.
- Pour over tuna mixture.
- Add parmesan and mix well.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Cut tomatoes; place stem side down and cut into wedges without cutting all of the way through the tomato; gently spread wedges to form bowl for the tuna salad.
- Fill each tomato with a tad more than ½ cup of the tuna.
- Serve on a piece of leaf lettuce to add color to the plate.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was fantastic and really hit the spot! I had some beautiful ripe garden tomatoes, which were perfect in this dish. I also added some minced kalamata olives, which is the only change I made. What a wonderful lunch I enjoyed! I wished I'd taken a photo, but I ate it too fast! Made for Culinary Quest 2016.Reply
Yum! This was great. I've never had a tuna salad before that didn't have mayo so this was a refreshing contrast. After reading the previous reviews, I added a few more pistachios that I really enjoyed. Since I halved the recipe the ingredients were too few to reach the blade in my mini processor, lol, so I just manually crushed them a bit. Thanks Susie for a nice treat. Made by an Unruly Under the Influence for ZWT6.Reply
see 12 more