Marinated Bison/Buffalo Steaks With a Peppercorn Sauce
photo by The Flying Chef
- Ready In:
- 4 buffalo steaks (could use a less expensive cut.)
- 1 (330 ml) bottle brown beer
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tabasco brand pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper (Makes the sauce very peppery, add less if you want.)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon cornflour, heaped
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Mix beer, sugar, lime juice, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, oil, ginger and hot pepper sauce in large bowl or storage container to blend. Place steaks in marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bring white wine, chopped shallot and crushed peppercorns to boil in a pan, simmer until mixture is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, both the stocks and simmer until reduced to 11/2 Cups, mix a little water with the cornflour and pour into sauce, stir until mixture thickens, add cream stir to combine.
- Remove steaks from marinade either BBQ or grill steaks until desired doneness. About 4 minutes a side for medium rare.
- If grilling move the wrack further away from the heat than you would have it for steak and if BBQ'ing make sure heat is lower than what you would have it for a steak. Cooking times will also be less for bison than steak. Bison meat has little or no fat and should be cooked no longer than necessary or it will toughen up.
- If you want to serve it over mushrooms, here are the amounts you will need.
- 500-600g Mushrooms, Chopped (A mixture Swiss brown, oyster, shiitake, button etc. whatever is available.).
- 2 Tablespoons Butter.
- 1 Clove garlic, crushed.
- 11/2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped.
- In a pan, melt butter, add garlic and mushrooms cook until soft and browned, stir in parsley.
- To serve place several spoonfuls of mushrooms on plate top with steak, I also topped mine with asparagus spears, and drizzle sauce over.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a pilot based in Switzerland who loves to cook and experiment with all kinds of foods from around the world. <br /> <br />I love throwing parties and intimate dinner parties especially seeing how much people enjoy themselves. <br /> <br />I love the ooutdoors and sports and to travel, although I haven't crossed off every place I want to visit in the world. <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/MEMBEROFTHEWEEK-1.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr336/jess4freedom/Zaar%20banners/ANZ-MakeMyRecipe.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/pictSF7ey-1.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/pick0GuXD-1.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/bb_babe626/AUST5.jpg alt= /></p> <p> </p> <div id=_mcePaste style=position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 1246px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden;>[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/deb112.gif/][IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9095/deb112.gif[/IMG][/URL]</div> <div id=_mcePaste style=position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 1246px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden;>Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]</div>